Friday, September 11, 2009

A few thoughts on the month of Elul and divorce:

On Elul; unless someone has contrary information (and please tell me if you do) my greatest crime this year and every year is gossip. The problem is I don't really want to stop, I justify it saying I'm "validating my reality" I don't do it to be hurtful or spiteful, but I shouldn't do it at all. Smokers have a much higher quit rate when they really want to quit. I'd be lying if I promise God I'll stop this year. Any suggestions?
Also thinking about what it means to be "good" environmentally in particular, and charitably.

On Divorce; I've been in a mega-funk the past couple of days. But am newly comfortable just feeling the feelings and not necessarily doing anything differently. Today, I'm feeling great, listening to some excellent music on Pandora and loving my job. Reading "Spiritual Divorce" which states that the real loss in divorce is not one's spouse, but, potentially, one's self. The person living through divorce loses the belief that she is "someone whom no one would ever want to leave, someone who makes good choices and is a good judge of people, that she can trust her heart and that giving love to the fullest will always result in a good outcome." How validating! When I have days like the past 2, I'm just so grateful that most days I'm thriving and not just surviving. This week's parsha speaks to just that when discussing choosing "life" in every decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment