Sunday, May 17, 2009





                                             Moon Sand

When we got home from our weekend adventures I prayed for the energy to make it through the evening (Janine had to work). Zeke had the fantastic idea to get out some Moon Sand we hadn't played with since last year. I dumped it into a bigger storage bin and Georgia added the play dough sculpting toys. Aside from putting out the occasional fire of sibling rivalry, I dozed on the warm grass beside them. About 20 minutes later I was actually ready not just to survive, but to be sort of fun again. 
I've been wanting to try some internet recipes for homemade Moon Sand and things were getting pretty crowded and pushy around the one bin. 

The Recipe:
1 part play sand (the regular kind you get for a sandbox)
1/2 part cornstarch
1/4 part water

I had 8 cups of cornstarch on hand so I built the size of the recipe around that. You can experiment with the order to add things, but ultimately you spend a lot of time working it all together, adding bits more water until it's just right. Silly me, I thought we'd work out the texture and then play with it. The 8 little hands helping me thought the mixing was the play. Bedtime came before we were done enjoying it-which is good. We'll get both bins out many more times this spring.

                          Yogurt Cream Cheese Pie
just had a soymilk and graham cracker snack (kids are in bed, tee hee). Lots of broken grahams which got me thinking about a graham cracker crust and then craving the yogurt cream cheese pie from the original Moosewood Cookbook. I'm bringing that the next time I'm asked to bring a dish somewhere. mmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Very unique blog.
    Fantastic pictures. Wow...

    I like your blog.

    Please visit:
    http://life-protection.blogspot.com

    Keep blogging.
    Good day.

    ReplyDelete